Did you know that more than 30 Million Americans have full or partial Irish ancestry? This is probably why we all celebrate Ireland here in the U.S. for St. Patrick’s Day every year. It’s not some random holiday, mind you. It’s celebrated with events, parties, and parades. Every 17th of March, people dress up in the snazziest green outfit they can, don face paint of shamrocks, and drink with absolute merriment.
It’s difficult to say exactly how and why we celebrate St. Paddy’s like this, but all we know is the day is filled with absolute fun (and booze, green booze). So, if you are planning to wow the crowd for St. Patrick’s Day for 2022, here are some fun geeky mixed drinks you could serve your family and friends:
GEEKY MIXED DRINKS
Neon Green Slush
It’s neon, it’s fizzy, it’s slush, and it’s alcoholic – need we say more?
Although Star Wars is not anyway related to St. Patrick’s Day, the matcha tea and cucumber combination is interesting (and green enough) for the celebration. Here’s a recipe from Gizmodo:
- 1.5 oz vodka
- 1 tbsp ginger liqueur
- 1 tbsp honey syrup
- 1 tbsp chilled Matcha tea
- 3-5 slices cucumber
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 2 cucumber ribbons for garnish
How to make:
1. Add honey syrup and cucumber slices into the cocktail shaker, muddle for 10-15 seconds to combine.
2. Add all the other ingredients (except the garnish) and dry shake without ice for a few seconds, then add ice and shake for 15-20 seconds.
3. Strain into a fine mesh strainer (to make sure you get all the cucumber pieces) over a chilled martini glass.
4. Twist the cucumber ribbons over toothpicks to look like frog’s legs and serve.
There’s more to drink on St. Patrick’s day other than green beer. Try this spiked shamrock shake from TikTok.
The Incredible Hulk
A mean, green, strong drink for you. Here’s a recipe from Craving Tasty:
- Hpnotiq fruit liqueur
- Hennessy brand cognac
How to make:
The standard ratio for this drink is 1:1 (variation #1). But if you want the bright green color, the ratio becomes 1:2, or even higher, (variation #2) Hennessy to Hpnotiq. Both taste great and will appeal to different tastes.
Lucky Charms Coffee
The luck of the Irish!
Toy Story Inspired Alien “Slime”
The Toy Story Aliens are probably the cutest green characters ever! Here’s a recipe from Delishably.
- 3 cups lemon soda
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 18 grams green jelly powder
How to make:
- Dilute the jelly powder in a bowl of water.
- Transfer the jelly mixture to a pot. Add lime soda, and stir to mix. Bring it up to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Using a strainer to remove any lumps, pour the mixture from the pot into a pitcher.
- Chill before serving.
Although some of these may look gross, in reality, they taste great! Honestly, drinking green beer every year for St. Paddy’s can be boring. Let’s change it up and celebrate the holiday by honoring the geek in all of us. It is so much easier with these recipes and hacks. For more hacks, recipes, and guides check these recipe books:
- The Geeky Bartender Drinks: Real-Life Recipes for Fantasy Cocktails (Geeky Chef)
- The Cocktail Guide to the Galaxy: A Universe of Unique Cocktails from the Celebrated Doctor Who Bar