As I said on the previous article, I am churning out articles to kill lunch time, on company computers. :p So while everone else gets fed, I will stay here, chasing after my backlogs.
So for this post, we shall discuss the things that I find funny as I work on a PC once again.
I will discuss my epiphanies by the component it pertains to.
1) I find the keyboard shortcuts I would use, like clockwork, on my MacBook, Sayuri, I still adopt to using on this HP PC. It’s not so surprising as it is funny, because, well, I should know that the layout and the functionality differences of the keyboards would be there, but it never really hit me till today.
I miss the Apple button, which serves as the CTRL button and stuff, which, on Sayuri, would be where the ALT key is located. 🙁
The down button on this HP does not work like it does on Sayuri. 🙁 On Sayuri, I can press “down” and it would be like pressing “end”. : ‘ (
This translates to more work, more brain cells expended, on my part. 🙁
2) I miss the color contrast/calibration on my Sayuri. 🙁
The PC calibration just SUCKS. Sorry for the language.
I was looking at flowers just minutes ago, and the flowers looked too dim for comfort. Guess I won’t be able to enjoy photos as much here. 🙁
3) I miss the simpler layout.
Microsoft just makes everything cluttered and cramped. Not my thing for my machines. 🙁
4) I miss my pet applications.
Like Bean.app, my Camino browser layout, and all the other playthings I have on Sayuri. : ‘ (
5) And this is the capper: I keep unconsciously using a nonexistent Trackpad when I get too lazy to use the mouse.
On Sayuri, I use both mouse and trackpad. But of course, on this HP PC with a standard Windoze keyboard, I don’t think I’d be able to successfully feel for the trackpad… Because it doesn’t exist. Eek.
I’m guessing that my brain was just so used to working on Sayuri’s keyboard that there are some lapses when I would unconsciously reach for the things I was used to. Though I found it really strange that I actually took to the HP keyboard as a duck to water, when normally, when I use netcafe keyboards, I would cringe and feel like a fish out of water. Is it because the machine is HP??? Err.. :p
Overall, I like working on Windows again. But there’s a reason why I’m sticking to my MacBook and on a Mac, and these reasons are staring at me on the face.