It was meant to be an April fools joke by people from ThinkGeek.com but it created such a stir that they’re thinking of pushing thru with the idea.
Imagine you’re wearing the t-shirt, a friend cracks a joke, and you’re t-shirt blows a laughter or a drum roll sound track. Cool? Eh, not really my cup-of-tea BUT it may work for some. Not sure if it’s culturally acceptable in some countries.
Anyway, I have to appreciate this “invention”. It’s a little original and may morph into something a little useful in the future. Right now I could think of an “electronica performance” where someone’s onstage with this Tee and on cue it will jive to something going on around it. Add some lights in, errhhmm… maybe.
A more practical idea would be if a known brand could use this in their marketing Kiosks to blurb out pre-recorded material. I think that will take off.
It is now sold (but you need to email for a reservation) at www.thinkgeek.com for US$39.99 and is available only in black at S, M, L, XL & XXL sizes. It comes in a remote so you can choose the track you wish to play. Is it patented? Ah, that’s THE question.
From their website, the product features below:
1. Personal Soundtrack T-Shirt features a working speaker on the front and can play background music and sound effects at your command
2. Perfect for making your ordinary life more exciting
3. Pocket remote allows easy selection of 13 looping music themes and 11 different sound effects
4. Music and sound effects fade up and down when choosing a new sound for a seamless experience
5. Requires 4 AA batteries. Not included